Thanksgiving is a delicious holiday for everyone, especially our pets. They smell the baked goods, watch us carve the turkey, and drool while stuck with their bowls full of kibble, poor guys. If you're in the mood to make your dog's day this Thanksgiving, consider making this leftover Thanksgiving feast dog treat recipe. The best part about it, other than the loving look on your dog's face when they try them, is that you can use up some of those Thanksgiving leftovers!
Thanksgiving Dog Treat Recipe Overview
Leftover Thanksgiving Feast Dog Treats
Yield: 96 treats
Prep: 7 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 37 mins
Thanksgiving Dog Treat Recipe Ingredients
- 1/2 cup plain cooked sweet potatoes, mashed
- 3/4 cup filtered water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups finely chopped, cooked turkey (substitute chicken if that's what you have on hand)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour or white whole wheat flour
Thanksgiving Dog Treat Recipe Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Combine sweet potatoes, water, and egg in a bowl.
3. Add leftover turkey and flour then mix until combined into a thick batter
4. Spread the dough on a parchment-lined sheet, forming a 10" x 14" rectangle with about 1/2" of thickness
5. Score into rectangles keeping in mind that 8 x 12 pieces yield 96 treats
6. Bake for 30 mins until lightly golden
7. Cool treats, then break them along score lines or use a knife/pizza cutter
8. Store in the refrigerator or freezer and thaw before serving
Thanksgiving Dog Treat Recipe Notes
- Use plain, cooked sweet potatoes either canned, frozen or leftover but make sure they are not spiced or salted
- Substitute plain Greek yogurt or pumpkin if you don't have sweet potato
- Utilize leftover turkey, avoiding bones, skin, and fat
- For round biscuits, drop batter by spoonfuls on parchment, flatten, and bake accordingly
Our renowned pet sitting services for cats and dogs are a great way to leave pets at home while you’re away, whether you're at work or traveling.
If you are new to Hearts at Home, please submit a new client questionnaire here. For more information, visit our website or contact us by email at Hello@HeartsAtHomePetSitting.com or by phone at 757-745-9868.
Our pet sitters and dog walkers provide in-home pet care services for Yorktown, Poquoson, Newport News and Hampton, Virginia.